The Pearl Islands (Las Perlas) is located on the Pacific coast of Panama and consists of more than 200 islands and islets, the largest island is Isla del Rey.
It must name the exploitation in the sixteenth century by the Spaniards many natural pearls, small, that the Indians were fishing in the oyster beds which lined the seabed. The Spaniards discovered them through the ornaments worn by Indian women. For some years before 1530, production reached a value of 800,000 piastres1. These beads were the most known Europe1. British pirate John Oxenham lived there some time in 1576, after crossing on foot and by canoe the Isthmus of Panama.
The archipelago has beautiful beaches and coral underwater beauty funds. These sites have more beads, but the waters are rich in fish. Between July and September, you can see humpback whales. The archipelago has two seasons, dry which extends from December to April, the rest of the year is very wet.
It is accessible from a domestic flight between Panama and the main island, Isla Contadora, a 20-minute flight.
The population is concentrated in the southern islands of the archipelago. The other islands are sparsely populated villages are confined Pedro Gonzales and Isla del Rey and the rest of the islands remains wild.