Stintino was founded in 1885 with the installation of 45 families, mostly related to fishing, island Asinara. Previously, territory, part of the Nurra Sassari, was populated by colonies of shepherds and peasants who lived in shelters for livestock called "Li Cuili".
The village of Stintino, part of the municipality of Sassari became an autonomous municipality 10 August 1988. The first elections for the appointment of the council of Stintino took place in March 1989.
The city is built around two bays that are home to many fishing boats and marinas. The old port called "Minori" [small] is near the new port called "Mannu" [great].